Dead or Distressed Marine Mammals
How ADF&G Assists

If you wish to report a dead, distressed, or stranded marine mammal, you should first call the relevant federal management agency. If you are not able to reach the federal agency, you can try contacting the nearest office of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (see map below). Department staff assist the authorizing federal agencies (NMFS or USFWS) by responding to and reporting stranding events where and when we can. ADF&G also does work involving stranded marine mammals; for an example, visit the Steller Sea Lion Entanglements page.

Rehabilitation and Release

The State of Alaska maintains a policy against the release of rehabilitated marine mammals due to the risk of disease transmission to the wild populations. The following article gives more information.

Alaska Department of Fish and Game Marine Mammal Stranding Contacts

Map of ADF&G Contacts
  • Barrow — (907) 852-3464
  • Fairbanks — (907) 459-7214
  • Haines — (907) 766-2607
  • Juneau — (907) 465-6167
  • Nome — 1 (800) 560-2271 or (907) 443-8191