Do I Need A Habitat Permit?

The best way to determine if your project needs a permit from ADF&G is to contact your local Habitat Section office and talk to a Habitat Biologist about your proposed project.

Fish Habitat Permit

Does your project involve work in or use of water from a river, lake, or stream that supports resident or anadromous fish?

  • Most activities in waterbodies that support anadromous fish will require a Fish Habitat Permit.
  • If your project involves water withdrawal or an activity that may have an impact on fish passage (culvert installation, temporary diversion, etc.) and the waterbody supports resident or anadromous fish, you will likely need to obtain a Fish Habitat Permit.
  • You can find out more about fish resources in your project area by consulting the Fish Resource Monitor or contacting your local Habitat Section office.
  • Examples of activities that generally require a Fish Habitat Permit include, but are not limited to:

Special Area Permit

Is your project/activity located within a legislatively designated Special Area (state game refuge, critical habitat area, or wildlife sanctuary?

  • You can find out more about where Special Areas are located on our Special Areas Information and Maps page or by contacting your local Habitat Section office.
  • Most recreational activities such as hunting, fishing, and wildlife viewing do not require a permit, but many other activities that may impact fish, wildlife, habitats, or public uses may require a Special Area Permit.
  • Examples of activities requiring a Special Area Permit include, but are not limited to:
    • clearing or disturbing vegetation;
    • streambank or shoreline altering activities;
    • natural resource development or energy exploration;
    • off-road use of wheeled or tracked equipment;
    • boat storage and commercial guide camps;
    • grazing or animal husbandry; and
    • any other activity that is likely to have a significant effect on fish, wildlife, or their habitat.