Small Scale Mining Permits

The ADF&G Habitat Section is encouraging the public to practice social distancing to minimize the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19) by calling Habitat staff with inquiries and using online resources to apply for permits. Please download and complete the appropriate application(s) and submit them by email, postal mail, or fax to the office listed on the permit header. We will review the application and return a validated permit by email or postal mail. Please contact your nearest Habitat Section office with any questions or for assistance with this temporary process.

Fish Habitat Permits for Small Scale Mining are issued by the Habitat Section for:

  • Use of a suction dredge with an intake diameter of six inches or less and powered by an engine 18 horsepower or less
  • Use of a sluice box and small water pump (18 horsepower or less) to process material gathered with hand tools (commonly referred to as “high banking”)

Permits can be obtained at our Anchorage, Fairbanks, Palmer, and Soldotna offices and are generally issued over-the-counter. We have also developed regional General Permits for some areas in Southcentral Alaska.

Permit application forms and General Permits are listed by region and available for download below:

Interior Alaska
Fairbanks Small Scale Mining Application (PDF 379 kB) Steese Highway Area List (PDF 39 kB)
Dalton Highway Area List (PDF 134 kB) Fortymile Area List (PDF 184 kB)
Additional Interior Region Streams (PDF 61 kB)
Anchorage Area Anadromous and Resident Stream Application (PDF 323 kB)
Small-Scale Recreational Mining - Peterson Creek Recreational Mining (PDF 164 kB)
Mat-Su Anadromous and Resident Stream Application (PDF 438 kB)
Small-Scale Recreational Mining - Caribou Creek Recreational Mining Area (PDF 528 kB)
Small-Scale Recreational Mining - Petersville Recreational Mining Area (PDF 390 kB)
Kenai Peninsula
Small-Scale Recreational Mining - Sixmile Creek and Tributaries (PDF 655 kB)
Small-Scale Recreational Mining - Resurrection Creek and Tributaries (PDF 1,157 kB)
Kenai Peninsula Anadromous & Resident Streams Application (PDF 809 kB)
Southeast Alaska
Southeastern Alaska Streams Application (PDF 2,609 kB)
Other Agency General Permits
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers General Permit (USACE) Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation Small Suction Dredge General Permit (ADEC)