Area Sport Fishing Reports
December 21, 2022
This is the last fishing report for the 2022 fishing season. This fishing report will be updated when additional information is available. For current seasonal information, please contact the Soldotna office at (907) 262-9368.
- The Soldotna ADF&G office is now offering a fishing rod loaner program and has salmon fishing gear anglers can borrow for up to three days. This is a first come, first served program, and rods cannot be reserved. For more information, check out the Rod Loaner Program webpage or contact Jenny Gates at (907) 262-9368.
- ADF&G is mobile. You can purchase and display your fishing license and king stamp, record your annual harvest (i.e., king salmon, halibut), access sport fishing regulations and locations, and so much more on your mobile device. Download the ADF&G Mobile App today.
- There are plenty of other local stocked lakes that provide a nice, quiet winter fishing opportunity in the Soldotna, Kenai, Kasilof, Cooper Landing, and Moose Pass areas.
- Ice Fishing for rainbow trout, Arctic char, Arctic grayling, and land locked salmon should be good to excellent. Try fishing Johnson, Sport, Scout, Elephant (Spirit), Island, John Hedberg, or Swanson River Road lakes.
- Not familiar with all the stocked lakes in the area? Check out the ADF&G publication with locations, access, and other valuable information on Kenai Peninsula area lakes. More lake information can be found on the ADF&G Alaska Lakes Database.
- Interested in recent stocking activities at lakes? Check out the ADF&G stocking database online.
- For specific lake stocking information including species stocked and numbers of fish stocked, directions, bathymetric maps, and amenities, please visit the ADF&G Alaska Lakes Database.
- Curious about Elephant (Spirit) Lake access including gate closures and road conditions? Call Salamatof Native Association at (907) 283-7864.
Please review the emergency orders and advisory announcements below in their entirety before heading out on your next fishing trip.
Local Lakes-Expiring Saturday, December 31, 2022
- Emergency Order 2-NP-1-04-22 prohibits the retention of any species of fish in East Mackey, West Mackey, Sevena, Union, and Derks lakes for the 2022 season.
- Emergency Order 2-DV-1-03-22 establishes a bag and possession limit of Arctic char/Dolly Varden in Stormy Lake of one fish, less than 16 inches in length for the 2022 season.
Local Lakes- NEW Effective Sunday, January 1, 2023
- Emergency Order 2-NP-1-04-23 prohibits the retention of any species of fish in East Mackey, West Mackey, and Derks lakes for the 2023 season.
- Emergency Order 2-DV-1-03-23 establishes a bag and possession limit of Arctic char/Dolly Varden in Stormy Lake of one fish, less than 16 inches in length, for the 2023 season.
As 2022 comes to an end, don’t forget to purchase your 2023 sport fishing license and king stamp! You can purchase your 2023 sport fishing license and king stamp through the ADF&G online store and print it off from the comfort of your own home. Also, make sure to review emergency orders, advisory announcements, and the 2022 Southcentral Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations Summary booklet until the 2023 Summary is issued.
For additional information, please contact the ADF&G Soldotna Area Office at (907) 262-9368.